We Offer Ontario Secondary School Diploma

Inspected by the Ontario Ministry of Education

Home Forums ENG3U Forum ENG3U Unit 1

ENG3U Unit 1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

MLS Admin
    Keymaster

Comparison / contrast is a common pattern for writing about similarities and differences. It is used in all academic fields. Please describe how you organized your comparison / contrast essay? What did you learn from this Writing unit?

Nancy Wei
    Participant

I usually structure compare-and-contrast essays in one of two ways:
    Discussing one then the other, according to the subjects themselves
    Discussing each subject in connection to each point, according to specific points.
    In this Unit, I used the second way to write my essay and it’s quite effective.

Bizheng Fu
    Participant

Techniques for making comparisons:
    1. Observe carefully and capture the salient features.
    2. Complement with each other to form an echoing relationship.
    3、Highlight the subject and make comparisons.
    4、Clarify the center and analyze the essential features.

In this Writing unit, I learned how to analyze a film and how to cite examples.

Dr. Dan Zebeljan
    Participant

Excellent job, Nancy! Again do not forget to review my Academic Essay Lesson: “Academic Essay Success Criteria: The Student Success Checklist”, U1L2a

Dr. Dan Zebeljan
    Participant

Correct, Bizheng. Don’t forget to review the Essay Outline in the same Unit 1 which clearly tells you the Comparison and Contrast strategies such as Maxi-Blocking (shorter paragraphs-one for comparison and the next one for the contrast), or the so-called Mini-Blocking (longer paragraphs but each sentence is construed of both comparisons and contrast, using words such as “although, however, similar to, etc…” For example, here is the C & C Thesis Sample, which I used in the Essay Lesson. Please pay attention to the aforementioned C&C transitional words: “Although Clementine wanted to ‘brain-erase’ Joel due to her innate impetuousness and restlessness to move on with her life and perhaps seek out another lover, Joel, on the other hand, agreed to ‘brain-erase’ Clementine not because he did not love her anymore, but because he was sincerely hurt by her; yet ultimately, he did not want to erase her, because it was that very restlessness and impetuousness of hers that meant to him, an absolute freedom from his usual, ordinary and unexciting self.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Maple Leaf School! All rights reserved.