We Offer Ontario Secondary School Diploma

Inspected by the Ontario Ministry of Education

Home Forums ENG3U Forum ENG3U Unit 2

ENG3U Unit 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

MLS Admin
    Keymaster

Why is TONE such an important language device?

Ay banu
    Participant

Because tone reflects emotion. Through the tone of the characters, readers can directly sense the change in emotions.

Nancy Wei
    Participant

The tone of a writer is crucial because it conveys the message. Tone allows the reader to feel emotion, ponder, and experiment with new ideas.

Yiming Sun
    Participant

The tone is important because it expresses emotion, reinforces the style of sentences for the reader, indicates pauses, and better conveys the characters’ feelings.

Yuhan Jiang
    Participant

Because the difference in pitch means that it is intended to convey a very different tone of voice context. For example, the same phrase, if said in a low tone is annoying, while said in a happy tone, the intended meaning is not the same. And good intonation allows us to communicate better with others.

Yuzhe Wang
    Participant

Whether on social platforms or in real life, the attitude and tone of voice are particularly important. For example, on ins, you chat with someone, and then you feel very angry. You make a smile. What you never thought was that the other person thought you were happy, but the actual situation is the opposite. In real life, the speaker is unintentional and the listener is intentional. Your careless words may touch others’ pain points.

Dr. Dan Zebeljan
    Participant

Hi Everyone, thank you for your excellent insights! I can see that for some reason this topic has generated more discussion than usual as it should, considering that the tone constitutes “the voice” of the writer’s message! For example in your Poster AOL, Tone is one of the 21 assigned literary devices that you must complete! You must define a specific literary device (i.e. “Tone is…”), then once you define it, you must provide the actual quote from Death of a Salesman, and then complete the task by explaining the significance of that quote, clearly indicating the significance of the tone within it. Again, you guys must review the co-created success criteria, because I noticed that a lot of you are not completing all of the tasks:
    1) You must define each element of the contemporary plot chart, i.e., the Rising Action (Crises 1-4, Climax) and then the Falling Action (Initial Shock, Acceptance, Catastrophe, Redemption, Catharsis, and finally, the Conflict Resolution)!
    2) Once you define them, then you must find quotes from the play to support your claim, i.e., “this quote clearly demonstrates the power of the climax in DOS (Death of a Salesman), because…”.
    3) You must follow the exact character shield formula and do not forget to cite and explain your favorite quote uttered by each of the three selected characters for your AOL!
    4) Do the same for the themes (DEFINITION, SUPPORT QUOTE, CONCLUSIVE ANALYSIS for each theme and figure of speech! You tend to drop a lot of Application marks because your posters are often incomplete, and ironically, “Tone” is one device that you guys need to address in the above formulaic fashion!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Maple Leaf School! All rights reserved.